Download the album "This Way to Power" This Way To Power - The Housekeeping Society

15 Mar 2011

Ric's Desert Island Discs

To celebrate the release of This Way To Power each of us Housekeeping Society members have put together our desert island discs - you know the drill, 8 records, a book and a luxury item

next up is Ric

you can listen to his choices on spotify here


Ric’s Desert Island Discs

Ok, first of all this is really hard, and every time I look at this lists I am blown away by the fact that so much of the music I love is not represented. I’ve tried to go for not necessarily my 8 favorite songs, instead choosing the eight songs that have had the biggest effect on me as a musician. So, here we go…

God Only Knows by the Beach Boys
Composed by Wilson/Asher
Off the album Pet Sounds

Probably my favorite song of all time; the chords, arrangement and melody are flawless. I simply love the Beach Boys and there are a few of their songs that I could have chosen, but this is the one that made we want to be a songwriter. It is complex and simple all at the same time – heartbreakingly beautiful.

Into the Sunset by Neil Finn
Composed by N. Finn
Off the album One Nil

Neil Finn is a musician who has been a direct influence on my writing and there are loads of songs that I could have chosen. This one wins it, as it’s not only gorgeous (I particularly like the coda at the end) but it also reminds me of a really great summer a number of years ago when it seemed to be sunny every day.

Power of Two by the Indigo Girls
Composed by Emily Saliers.
Off the album Swamp Ophelia

I’ve always been a sucker for acoustic music and the arrangement to this song is lovely. Really beautiful sentiment as well that reminds me of when I was at uni. I love this lyric about being “stronger than the monsters beneath your bed”; lots of love songs sound contrived, but this feels incredibly personal and real.

Zanzibar by Billy Joel
Composed by B. Joel
Off the album 52nd Street

Chords, chords, chords, chords – I’m all about the chords – I love them. Billy Joel was someone who really inspired me when I was teaching myself piano when I was in my teens. He’s not respected at all by most musicians but his use and understanding of harmony still blows my mind. This track is off my favorite Billy Joel album 52nd street. The chords and modulations in this tune are brilliant and I love how it takes you on a real harmonic journey.

I Wish by Stevie Wonder
Composed by S. Wonder
Off the album Songs in the Key of Life

I know it’s not very fashionable but I’ve always been more excited by harmony than I have about rhythm – but this song is an exception. An unbelievably tight groove makes this the best song to drive to that I’ve ever heard – no wonder it gets sampled so much. Also love the brass arrangement. Stevie Wonder is so positive; you can not be in a bad mood when this song is on.

I Get Along Without You Very Well by Frank Sinatra
Composed by Hoagy Carmichael
Off the album The Wee Small Hours of the Morning

Frank Sinatra is probably my favorite vocalist of all time. His phrasing and tone is incredible and, although it’s a cliché, he really makes you feel like you’re the only person in the room. I discovered this album when I was doing my A levels and it gave me a real understanding of what an album could do – it was one of the first albums I’d got into that had a real ‘theme’ all of its own. Sinatra mastered this concept album stuff during his time at Capital Records. This particular song’s lyrics are really clever and tell of a man deluding himself into thinking he’s ok – I have written about this subject in my own material many times.

Music for Airports (1st Movement) by Brian Eno
Composed by B. Eno
Off the album Music for Airports

This one’s a bit left of centre but I love it. It has no melody or words or rhythm it’s just one long soundscape. There’s something really magical about its minimalism that makes me constantly question everything about how I make music. As I get more experienced I get more excited about the difference between ‘sound’ and ‘music’.

The Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell
Composed by J. Webb
Off the album Wichita Lineman

Jimmy Webb is a great songwriter and his book “Tunesmith” is a bit of a Bible for me. I adore this song and the vocal performance by one time Beach Boy Glen Campbell is faultless. There’s something about this arrangement that makes you understand how lonely the central character is, and the chord progression is a beauty.

Book: Catch 22 by Josef Heller

Luxury Item: A Piano